If there’s one certainty that I’ve noticed about online slots, it’s that people love ancient Egyptian games. Some of the big Egyptian-themed slots that we’ve seen include IGT’s Cleopatra, Bovada’s A Night with Cleo, Miami Club’s Cleopatra’s Pyramid, and Drake Casino’s Cleopatra.
In fact, it seems like every online casino and slots provider offers at least one popular Egyptian-themed game. And my question has always been, why do people love these type of games?
Here are a few reasons why I wonder about this:
– Most Egyptian slots don’t seem like anything special. This isn’t to say that they’re bad, but they don’t stand out in any way.
– The themes run together, with Cleopatra and pharaoh tombs dominating the genre.
– Some of these ancient Egypt slots are among the biggest classics, although they don’t quite compare to new games that the industry offers.
Again, I’m not saying that the Egyptian-themed slots I’ve seen are terrible. But I just have trouble understanding what makes so many people play them. That said, here are a few theories I’ve developed:
1) Cleopatra is one of the most-legendary figures of all time. She’s also universal and can appeal to both men and women.
2) The story of avoiding booby traps and plundering a pharaoh’s chamber is among the most popular in Hollywood.
3) Many of these slots are simplistic, which appeals to the crowd that doesn’t want to spend 20 minutes figuring out the rules, payouts, and bonus features.
One thing that I noticed with A Night with Cleo is that it brings a new element to the table in the form of a strip bonus game. Specifically, you make choices and, when right, Cleopatra takes off a piece of clothing.
I’m not saying that this type of theme is for everybody. But it’s interesting in a genre that, for the most part, is very basic.
Basic or not, it appears that Egyptian online slots will continue to be extremely popular in the gaming world.